Sunday, May 9, 2010

Getting Started

Well, this is my first blog, and it's pretty exciting. I hope that by doing this, I will not only be able to reflect and articulate my own thoughts, but interact with others as well, whoever that may be.

I think to begin with, much of this will have to do with diabetes, and the year long training and learning process I am about to embark on. But I also anticipate commenting on other things on my mind. I welcome feedback.

I am finally taking the time to get started with wetsuit ordering, filling out a survey, trying to plan my fundraising, regional, and local events. It's overwhelming, but exhilarating at the same time. What a journey.

I'm in the midst still of deciding why I should do which races, the prices, times, readiness, etc. I think that I'll sign up for the Silicon Valley Olympic Triathlon on June 13, and possibly Barb's race on July 31. I guess I'll get around to posting those in a separate place.

It all began in late March, when I received an email and then a phone call back from Peter Nerothin, the ED of Insulin Dependence. He wanted to know if I was still interested in being a Triabetes Team Captain. I wanted to say yes right away, but had to think it over a little, as it involved a pretty huge commitment, both time, financially, and energy. Also, I had to cancel a race that I was planning to run to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Who knows if I would have, but it made me think a lot. Friends and family really helped me think it through, and, knowing that I would be doing the Ironman race with other type 1 diabetics, AND there would be a service component, in that we would be working with younger kids and families with diabetes, I signed up.

First time we all got together was in St. George, Utah April 30 - May 2. What a weekend! I can't believe how interesting it was to get to know everyone else. After the typical nerding out on diabetes things, meters, insulin, blood testing, we really started to learn more about one another. We come from all over the country, and bring such a diverse experience of upbringings, beliefs, habits, outlooks, and more, but we also have so much in common. I found myself really enjoying getting to know each one of the other captains, the ID staff and board members.

And on Saturday, we went and saw the start of this year's Ironman. What a trip. The lake was 55 degrees. We were stuck there for 3 hours, until the last biker left. So, I went for a run (in my jeans), but at least I had my running shoes.

Then, after a quick rest back at the hotel, we went to volunteer on the course. I thought it'd be pretty slow, handing out water, but not too exciting. I was totally wrong. It was amazing. People were so grateful, tired, exhilarated, upbeat, and intense. We handed out cola, picked up trash, and cheered people on for a while. Here is a photo of me there.

It's always so unnerving for me to be in the desert, where the sky is so huge, and the mountains loom high, yet, in such a big expanse of blue, don't seem so steep. It takes a day or two to get used to.
We then saw the finish line at midnight. What a trip! After 17 hours, people are just coming thru, and they have to make it before midnight.

The next morning (Sunday) we went to register for the May 7, 2011 Ironman. We wondered around the expo for while. I was hoping there'd be some cheap or free stuff, but not too much luck there. We took a team photo, packed up and headed to Las Vegas. We went on a beautiful run there, right somewhat near the Hoover Dam. And, then flew home.

No comments:

Post a Comment