Thursday, June 24, 2010

Long Bike Rides

Last Saturday, June 19, I went on a fantastic ride with two friends. It was the farthest I'd ever biked, and it was one of those "I love that I live in what seems to be one of the most beautiful places in the world" moments. We took the precarious Calistoga Rosa, which was a bit, well actually super narrow, steep, and full of traffic. And then descended into Calistoga, where we biked along Silverado Trail. What a perfect road! Rolling hills, nice big shoulder, and just awesome.

We biked to Yountville, specifically the La Bouchon Bakery. Because just about every long bike ride I think needs to at least include one stop at a fantastic bakery. We were not disappointed. From the cookies, to the danishes, they are really really good. Unfortunately my blood sugar was 392. I took about 7 units, drank like 4 cups of water, ate a walnut roll with lots of butter (to slow down the absorption of the flour and carbs), and hoped it'd all level out in a few hours. It did.

We got back on the road, and road back up Silverado Trail, into Calistoga, then along a different route back to Santa Rosa. We'd been told there were better alternatives to Calistoga Road. So, we took Franz Valley Road. It was one of the most beautiful roads I've been on in a while. There were barely any cars, incredible views, shade, hills, but also flat parts; all in all amazing. Coming down Mark West Springs road was difficult due to a lot of traffic, and little shoulder for most of it.

It turns out we rode over 85 miles, and did 4973 feet of climbing! Except for my cleat falling off my shoe a couple of miles from home, it was great.

The next morning, I went for a 12 mile slowish run, and felt great. I kept wondering whether I was overconfident as I began to think about how maybe, just maybe, I could do the full vineman on July 31, rather than Barb's race, which is half. I felt really good, and kept increasing my speed. But I knew at some level that endorphins can probably produce overconfidence.

I thought about it for about 24 hours, and concluded (with the help of some good sound advice), that it probably would not be the best idea. But it was hard. I'm constantly fueled by a new challenge, and, based on how good I felt, I thought it was a good idea, and kept thinking I could make it happen. But apparently jumping the gun on an ironman without a solid base of training is not too smart.

So, I'm back on the plan of July 31 being Barb's race (1/2 iron distance), Aug. 29, 1/2 marathon, Oct. 10 full marathon, and the schedule as planned.

85 miles and 4973 feet of climbing!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Annie, that's amazing! 85 miles is A LOT! The farthest I"ve done is 41, and that was on a crappy bike. I really can't wait to get my new one and see how much better my ride will be. I am nowhere near ready for a full ironman, or really even a half at this point. I'm doing an oly in September, and CONSIDERING a half in November. Not sure yet. $$ and all that. Sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny - thanks, it was a good ride. I'm sure that you will be able to go further too. I still think that so much of it is just getting out there! What kind of bike are you thinking of? How are you doing? I miss seeing everyone. I am really looking forward to November too. That's great that you are considering a half in November. Which one? It sounds like you are doing great too!

    ReplyDelete