Friday, June 4, 2010

Always something new to learn

Every time I visit my doctor, I hope that he has some jewel of knowledge about diabetes that will really help me improve my blood sugars. Sometimes I'm disappointed. But I wasn't on Thursday. I was trying to figure out why I'm having so many highs in the morning, and he suspected that I'm having lows that I'm not aware of during the night. I scoffed somewhat, as by this time (with over 20 years of diabetes), I am overconfident that if I had a low at night, I'd wake up. But he informed me that there are 6 hormones that cause your blood sugar to go up: cortisol, epinephrine, glucagon, and I don't know about the other 3). At any rate, all 6 of this cause blood sugar rises, and only 1 hormone (insulin) causes it to drop. That's helpful for me. Make sense to think in those terms.

So, I'm going to test for more night time lows. In the meantime, I'll explore other things....
I have so many things that I want to write about, and now, when it's time and I'm actually writing, I find myself sounding trite, somewhat self-absorbed, and uninteresting. So, I'm working on the rest of the stories. I think that I'll use this blog to try to share a little more about my life beyond diabetes. Now, where to start... I'll give it some thought, and come up with more soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Annie,
    Personally, I want to hear how this particular story comes out, what's been causing those morning high blood sugars for you.
    I've decided that while there's no way to write about ourselves on these blogs without feeling kind of funny (Like "Why would people I don't even know want to read about this?") it can be the opposite of being self-absorbed.
    Sharing your stories and struggles with others helps them find their way.
    I appreciate it anyway.

    ReplyDelete